NAnocomposite Core-Rim structures for Enhanced tOUghness and Strength at extreme temperatures
Starting date: 01/09/2021
Duration: 39 mesi
Total funding: 600 000 $
Action: US ARMY ACC-APC-RTP
CNR ISTEC Role: Co-Project Coordinator
Coordinator: Laura Silvestroni (CNR-ISTEC)
Partnership: Missouri Science and Technology University (MS&T) – U.S.
The proposed project addresses the need for materials with improved properties under the extreme conditions associated with hypersonic aerospace vehicles. The hierarchical nanocomposites that are the focus of this research have remarkably high strengths at elevated temperatures, exceeding 1 GPa at 1800°C. The proposed fundamental research will investigate the mechanisms responsible for formation, structure-property relationships at ultra-high temperatures, and behavior in relevant environments.
Pubblications and patents
- N. Gilli, J. Watts, W.G. Fahrenholtz, D. Sciti, L. Silvestroni, “Design of ultra-high temperature ceramic nano-composites from multi-scale length microstructure approach”, Composites B 226 (2021) 109344.
- L. Silvestroni, L.M. Rueschhoff, K.A. Acord, R. Castro, C. Powell, “Synthesis of far-from-equilibrium materials for extreme environments”, MRS Bulletin, 47 Nov (2022) 1143-1153.
- L. Silvestroni, N. Gilli, A. Sangiorgi, A. Corozzi, S. Filipovic, N. Obradović, L. Ortiz-Membrado, E. Jiménez-Piqué, W.G. Fahrenholtz, “Multi-phase (Zr,Ti,Cr)B2 solid solutions: preparation, multi-scale microstructure and local properties”, Journal of Advanced Ceramics 12  (2023) 414-431.
- L. Silvestroni, N. Gilli, A. Migliori, D. Sciti, J. Watts, G.E. Hilmas, W.G. Fahrenholtz, “A simple route to fabricate strong boride hierarchical composites for use at ultra-high temperature”, Composites B 183 (2020) 107618.
- L. Silvestroni, S. Failla, V. Vinokurov, I. Neshpor, O. Grigoriev, “Core-shell structure: an effective feature for strengthening ZrB2 ceramics”, Scripta Materialia 160 (2019) 1-4.
- L. Silvestroni, K. Stricker, D. Sciti, H.-J. Kleebe, “Understanding the oxidation behavior of a ZrB2–MoSi2 composite at ultra-high temperatures”, Acta Materialia, 151  (2018) 216-228.
- L. Silvestroni, S. Failla, I. Neshpor, O. Grigoriev, “Method to improve the oxidation resistance of ZrB2-based ceramics for reusable space systems”, Journal of the European Ceramic Society, 38  (2018) 2467-2476
- L. Silvestroni, H-J. Kleebe, W.G. Fahrenholtz, J. Watts “Super-strong materials for temperatures exceeding 2000°C”, Sci. Rep. 7, 40730; doi: 10.1038/srep40730 (2017).